Thursday, January 6, 2011

On Safety

A few people have expressed concern over my safety since the church was bombed in Alexandria last weekend. I just want to take this moment to assure everyone that I’m really fine. I mean, to be honest, it was a bit rattling – we had been at a nearby church a week earlier for Christmas Eve – but I’ve also been amazed by our Egyptian friends’ reactions. They’re as horrified as we are. Here’s a decent piece in the Times that shows the outrage.

I’d like to corroborate that piece with a personal anecdote:
Tonight is Christmas Eve in the Coptic Church. A year ago there was a shooting outside a church on Christmas Day. Tensions are high. After the bombing a week ago, there were reports that the Coptic Pope was going to cancel Christmas this year. Many churches are still holding services. In an amazing show of solidarity, many of my Muslim friends here in Zagazig are going to the Christmas Eve services. It's a nation-wide movement. The assumption is that nobody will blow up a building packed with Muslims. And then Copts can still have Christmas. This inspiring act shows the extent to which Egyptians will go out of their way for others. It’s an intense example of the attitudes Nick and I have encountered in Zagazig since day 1. No, we’re not Egyptians, we’re not Muslims, and while we do our best to peter around with Arabic, we’re certainly not natives. But it really doesn’t matter. The residents of Zagazig have smothered us with genuine care. They do more than just respect our differences – they embrace them, and us. In four short months, I’ve fallen in love with this town. And we still have five wonderful months left here.

So Merry Christmas everyone. Let’s all say a quick prayer for a safe evening.

1 comment:

Shimaa A. Hashem said...

I can't find words to say after that .... MERRY CHRISTMAS to you all and to all my copts friends ... wish you the best , and wish that this event was really understood .. we all here - muslims , copts - understood what who did that wanted , but our community is more Coherent than they can imagine .........