Sunday, March 6, 2011

Egypt, I already miss you...

A week ago, Fulbright contacted us and told us that we aren't being invited back... at least not yet. Things apparently haven't stabilized sufficiently. Granted, I'd feel totally safe in Zagazig, and I'd even love to be in Egypt during the current political transition - seems like a fascinating period - but the majority of the other Fulbrighters are in Cairo, which Fulbright (or the people Fulbright takes orders from) feels is still unstable enough to preclude our return.

I'm sad about this. I adored my town, my classes, and the UNESCO English club. I will miss these things terribly if we do not return. Unfortunately, it seems like the things Fulbright is concerned about are "uncertainty" and "instability" - things that don't disappear in the short-term. So, it's probably time I start looking for some way to pass the time between now and this fall when I hope to enter graduate school. I was thinking about heading to Damascus to study Arabic, but I'm starting to feel like this might not be the greatest time to head to a country in the middle east known for violently repressing dissenting voices. Morocco might be a better choice for the summer. For now, I may just stay in Chicago. This city is fantastic, and with some luck I might even be able to find some sort of temping gig until the end of May, when I hope to head to Morocco.



Dear Morocco,

Please don't go the way of your North African neighbors.

Love,
Carl

No comments: