Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Again?

It's true: We've been evacuated. Is that verb supposed to be passive? I'm beginning to hope that "being evacuated" doesn't happen to me too often in life. Twice has proven plenty.

Fulbright informed us last Tuesday evening that we had to leave Egypt. After 84 hours of traveling and 2 lost bags, I'm back in Chicago, safe and sound. Fulbright will decide within a month if the situation has improved enough to bring us back.

I'd love to offer some sage insights about the current situation in Egypt, share some thoughts about what might happen next, or at least speculate about whether the Fulbright program will be reinstated. Unfortunately, my understanding of the situation is just as dependent on CNN as anyone's. I'm also hesitant to say too much on a public blog. I have no idea who will be in power in a month or how receptive this person will be to critiques of Mubarak's regime. However, given the chance to return, I hope to.

For now, please send your thoughts and prayers to the people of Egypt. The suffering in Tahrir Square - blocks from where my ETA companions and I lived during training in Cairo - the incredible damage to infrastructure, and the uncertainty surrounding the future of the political system there... very stressful and scary. All we can do is hope and trust that things will get better, eventually.

1 comment:

Cookie said...

Carl! So good to know you're back. If you are in fact the unassuming impetus for civil unrest/ change, perhaps we need you in Cambodia. Come! :P

Actually, just kidding... the time is not right yet.

A note on Egypt that was on my high school's message board, a la a young Egyptian national. I'll post the link here so folks may take a look: http://www.facebook.com/note.php?saved&&note_id=10150092422206799#!/notes/miracle-goodtempered-prince/from-egypt-via-the-uwc-message-board/10150092422206799