Friday, February 11, 2011

Mubarak Steps Down!

Congratulations to my Egyptian friends. After Mubarak's poorly received speech yesterday, he resigned a little bit ago. I'm a little surprised he'll be staying in Egypt. I hope he doesn't become a target for disgruntled protestors.

Let's hope the coming transition is peaceful and meaningful. ...I might return to Egypt yet! Again though, no viable transition is in place. The protesters have rejected the VP who is now in power (with help from the military). That said, the biggest rallying point was hating Mubarak. If he's out, things could return to normal-ish.

As I mentioned yesterday, this may mean more unrest for the region. Other countries in the Middle East/North Africa now have Tunisia and Egypt to look to for inspiration.

Ladies and gentlemen, the fun isn't over yet.

2 comments:

Francisco Castelo Branco said...

this is just a beginning of a difficult transition

http://olhardireito.blogspot.com/2011/02/free-egipt.html

قلب مكلوم said...

Hello Mr.Carl,
I am one of your students in Egypt.
one who was and still very happy to get that interesting and precious course.
hopping to continue it in the second semester isa.

Actually,I am a good reader for your good blog.
It made me very happy when I felt that you got that wonderful thoughts about Egypt as a state(a place)
Talking about the current events and the recent situation in Egypt
I think that we are at a turning point,standing at a gate of two ways:one of them will be the better and the other one will be the worst.
Egyptian people have the choice
and will face many difficulties and bear a big burden on their shoulders to lead their country to the better way.
we just need to trust god and then trust ourselves.

Thanks very much for you interest.
with all my respect.